Despite not playing for 37 days and being 2-0 down, Macarthur FC managed to comeback to earn a point against Western United. (Image: Macarthur FC/Twitter)

After 37 days off the pitch, Macarthur nearly pulled off one of the comebacks of the 2021/22 A-League Men season in a stunning second half.

In its first game of 2022, Macarthur FC pulled off a remarkable comeback after being 2-0 down late in the second half against the in-form Western United

It was a massive clash for both sides, with the winner set to take first place on the A-League Men table. Whilst Western was coming off a 1-0 victory over reigning champions Melbourne City, Macarthur hadn’t played in 37 days.

After a very even first half at Campbelltown Stadium which saw Western lead 1-0 at half time, the Bulls started to push hard early on in the second half.

Despite not starting, reigning Johnny Warren Medallist Ulises Dávila came on after the break and created plenty of chances for the Bulls attackers.

Pressing high up at every opportunity it got, Macarthur had chance after chance to begin the second half yet still couldn’t manage to find the back of the net.

Moments after a penalty shout from Daniel De Silva in the 73rd minute, Aleksandar Prijovic was on the end of a brilliant Lachie Wales cross that extended Western’s lead to 2-0.

The Campbelltown crowd fell flat, with the Bulls down and nearly out of the game. But then came along star striker Lachie Rose.

Coming on in the 75th minute, he scored an absolute stunner mere minutes later to make it a 2-1 scoreline, giving the Macarthur fans hope.

Following that goal the Bulls pressed even further, with Rose looking to break the game wide open. However, as they have done all season, United’s defence stood tall.

In the 87th minute though they faltered, with Tomi Uskok’s powerful header off De Silva’s corner deflecting off Leo Lacroix to even the ledger once more.

After that goal and conceding the two goal lead, Western went back on the attack. While it had plenty of chances to take back the lead, every one seemed to fall just short.

Macarthur had a chance late through a De Silva free kick. However it was headed away by Nikolai Topor-Stanley, with the game ending 2-2 and Western going top of the A-League Men table.

Despite the evenness of the first half and its own rustiness, Macarthur dominated the second half, finishing with 58 per cent possession, 18 shots and nine shots on target.

Subscribe to our newsletter!

About Author

Leave a Reply