Fabio Gomes celebrating his successful penalty which brought Sydney FC level against Brisbane Roar in the Australia Cup Final. Photo Credit: Joshua Davis/The Inner Sanctum

Two quick-fire first half goals were enough to see Sydney FC emerge victorious from the Sydney Derby 4-1.

With Luke Brattan’s suspension, Rhyan Grant would take the captain’s armband, and score his first ever goal against the Wanderers.

He was left alone in the middle of the box during a corner and allowed to head it home to make it 1-0.

“I’m sure he’ll be pleased, not just with the goal, but his overall performance,” Sydney FC coach Ufuk Talay said post-game.

“I thought he defended very well and he lead the team as he was co-captain stepping in for [Luke Brattan] tonight so he’ll be quite pleased.”

Fabio Gomes would score from the spot to make it 2-0 after Lachlan Brook committed a handball, putting the visitors well in control.

Unconfirmed reports of issues between the RBB and police had emerged on social media 15 minutes into the game, with the RBB vacating a section of the home end. 

The Inner Sanctum contacted the Australian Professional Leagues (APL), operator of the A-League Men competition, for comment on the situation.

In response to the request, an APL spokesperson said “We are aware of an incident that occurred inside the stadium during the first half. We are working with all parties to investigate the matter as part of prescribed protocols.”

The section of the home active end left empty by the RBB. Photo Credit: Poletti/The Inner Sanctum

More Football News

‘Passion is not a crime’ – Bullpen send loud and clear message

Grace Wilson is the A-Leagues first openly non-binary player

Key Talking Points: Matildas off to Paris Olympics with dominant victory over Uzbekistan

Robbie Mak would extend the Sky Blues lead to three in the 50th minute, before a Daniel Margush error would allow Gomes to pick up a brace to make it 4-0.

Andrew Redmayne would be denied a clean sheet in the 72nd minute with Jake Girdwood-Reich scoring an own goal to make it 4-1.

The result of the match made it the sixth straight time the away side had won the Derby, with the last time the home side emerged victorious being a 3-2 victory to Sydney FC on April 2, 2022 at Jubilee Oval.

Speaking post-game, Talay spoke about his side’s dominant victory, putting it down to the press his side implemented.

“Yeah, I think the two early goals probably hurt their spirits at home and I reckon also silenced the crowd, didn’t allow the crowd to get into the game.

“I think the difference tonight was we pressed aggressively again and we were a lot clinical in the moments we actually won the ball.”

The game was Marko Rudan’s first match back on the sideline after a two game suspension from Football Australia because of a show cause notice.

Following the game, Rudan apologised to Wanderers fans and members after the match, taking full responsibility for tonight, and saying his side lost the game in the first 10 minutes of both halves.

“I’ll take full responsibility for tonight. It’s my team, the way I prepared them, the team that I put out there, how we wanted to play and win tonight, so it’s on me.”

When asked how he might look at regrouping from such a heavy defeat, Rudan said that one game will not define the Wanderers season.

“There’s many different ways to do it, but one thing I do know with such a young team that we’ve got, lambasting them and shouting at them, it doesn’t work.

“They know themselves, the effort that was lacking tonight and the way we played and performed, I don’t have to tell them anything.

“I didn’t tell them anything post-game and for me it’s about one game will not define our season. It’s as simple as that, albeit a Derby game.

“For me it’s about telling them all the good things that we are capable of and all the good things that we’ve done and the positivity and making sure that we go out there and get a good reaction on the training park.”

About Author