Geelong defeated Adelaide by 19 points at Adelaide Oval.

Geelong defeated Adelaide by 19 points at Adelaide Oval.

A general’s performance down back from Tom Stewart and some magic up top from Tom Hawkins has seen Geelong leave Adelaide Oval with a 19-point win over the Crows.

Hawkins was magnificent with four majors, while Stewart had 11 marks and 28 touches down back.

It appeared the Crows would put the form of last week behind them early, as the man who moved from sub to first 22, Jake Soligo, crumbing and goaling from a spoil to start the evening.

However, the Cats didn’t waste any time in replying and then some.

Patrick Dangerfield strolled out of the guts to send the ball to full forward, where it ended with Gryan Miers, who kicked his first.

The Crows’ kicking efficiency was well below par at around 36 per cent early on, while the Cats were cruising at 85 per cent.

Tyson Stengle was the next beneficiary against his old side, before Shaun Mannagh and Miers again ensured their side would lead by 18 points early on.

After a score review gave Geelong a behind, the Crows went coast-to-coast in their best play of the opening term.

Wayne Milera started running from defence, it led to Taylor Walker slinging it inside forward 50 for former Gold Coast Sun Chris Burgess to convert.

Yet, the Cats would wrestle back a comfortable margin.

Tom Hawkins and Jeremy Cameron tried to outdo each other with thumping goals on opposite sides of the 50-metre arc, and the Cats’ lead was out to 26 points.

Despite Geelong’s run, Adelaide would end the quarter with a positive, Josh Rachele taking a pack mark and converting after the siren to cut the deficit to 19 points.

The Crows would dominate the second quarter but fail to take advantage on the scoreboard.

Darcy Fogarty opened the scoring with a neat set shot after a scrappy passage of play, before Burgess slotted his second to make it an eight-point deficit.

The Cats would have the answers though, with Brad Close lacing out Ollie Henry with inside 50, who converted from directly in front.

The inexperienced Crows defence was finding the pressure hot, with Max Michalanney almost gifting Mannagh another.

In front of goal, the opportunities were being burned.

Luke Pedlar rushed a kick a goal which scooped through for a behind, while Burgess blasted the post from 15 metres out.

Walker was the next to miss a chance with a snap on his left going just wide, while Pedlar committed a cardinal sin by burning multiple teammates, including the former captain.

Despite the Crows’ relentless dominance towards the end of the term, they still trailed by two goals at the main change.

It felt as if dam wall was about to burst on the Cats’ defence, and it looked like it would early in the third.


‘One of the most genuine people’: Jay Schulz reflects on Port veteran Travis Boak

From student to leader: Xerri’s rise to number one ruck

Heeney’s new heights please ‘Horse’

Fogarty got his second and moments later Walker levelled the scores much to delight of the home support.

Against the early run, Cameron snapped his second from a tight angle, but the Crows would soon hit the front for the first time since the first quarter.

Izak Rankine roved from a ruck contest and converted, and the hosts had a one-point lead.

With the Crows looking set to run over the Cats, it was quite the opposite.

A pitch invader decided to be a nuisance and get involved in a contest, which resulted in Ben Keays tackling the offender.

Miers found Hawkins with a neat dink inside 50 to give Geelong the lead back, and he backed it up with a snap from the pocket.

The star forward finished the quarter with three majors, while Ollie Henry joined the party as the margin blew out to four goals at the final change.

Shaun Mannagh looked at getting things started for the Cats when he placed a kick perfectly to Cameron, who missed to the right.

The Crows injected Ned McHenry into the game, who was making things happen. The small midfielder weaved through a few Cats before finding Burgess, who found Walker, who converted.

The Crows, similar to last weekend, were showing more dare and dash in the final term, but the Cats were repelling, led by Tom Stewart.

Geelong was continuing the scoreboard pressure, but it was with plenty of missed opportunities.

Mannagh, Cameron twice and Stengle all falling short, wasting chances to bury the Crows.

Dangerfield looked set to line up from 50, but found Miers on his own in the pocket.

Instead of finding the big sticks, the small forward found the crowd with a wayward shot out on the full.

The Crows’ break finally came, with Reilly O’Brien ending up with the ball after a ruck contest and converting from a standing start.

With a chance to cut the margin to 10 points, Fogarty ran into an open goal and smacked the post.

The opportunities were coming for the home side, Walker snapped around his body to no avail, but they continued to chip away at the Cats’ lead.

Geelong sealed it with just over a minute to go with a swift counter which finished in a Miers major.

It was party time with Close converting from the centre square, but the margin would end at 19 following a magic goal from Rankine.

The Crows next play Fremantle at Optus Stadium on Good Friday, while the Cats have the Easter Monday clash against Hawthorn.

Subscribe to our newsletter!

About Author